Sunday, May 24, 2009

Day 19

I can't believe what a whirlwind trip we have had.  Our "mid-trip excurtion" took us through four cities in five days.  We have traveled by plane, car, van, taxi, pedal-cab, boat, bamboo raft, gondola, tabogan, chair-lift, and train.  We have seen so many things that they started to blur and yet when I remember one particular experience it is clear as day.  We have been exposed to China's culture from the Advanced Metropolitan City to the authentic Chinese villages to it's history..  We have eaten food we never knew existed (I am SO proud of my wife for being a troope and not wimping out) and made friends we will never forget. 
We have seen things we never dreamed we would actually be fortunate enough to see. 
I learned so much about the Chinese and their culture and history on this trip.  Determination is a way of life for so many of them.  They are determined to survive.  Hard work and "waste not want not" are rules of life they follow closely.
So today, as I sit waiting for Mr. Luo to take us to the airport I find myself in an emotional turmoil once again.  After seeing how so many here live I find myself so gratefull for what I have back home.  I find their friendship touching, their kindness moving.  This is a culture I would love the oppertunity to explore further.  It is interesting how so much structure from the communist party keeps order and peace.  I guess everything comes with a price.
I am so gratefull to Diane and Pete for opening their home to us and showing us their life over here.  They are truly kind people.  Without them I would never have been interested in coming to this country in the first place and certianally would not have had the experiences we have shared here opened to us
And now that my interest is peaked I find myself wanting to return.  Spend more time in some of the places we have seen and find new experiences to explore.  I do believe we will return again and I look forward to that with anticipation.
And so as I write this - my final blog of our trip - I find myslef not wanting to say "good-bye" to China.  I find myslef instead saying "wǒ huì xiǎng nǐ China, bùjǐu jiàn".

No comments:

Post a Comment